January 22, 2011

love shirt

I love making my son holiday-themed shirts. He just turned 4 years old, so I don't think I have many holidays left where I can dress him in handmade holiday shirts. I'm enjoying it while I can. He did inform me that he doesn't like tie shirts anymore, so a Valentine's Day tie shirt like the one I made him last year just wouldn't do. While trying to find an idea for this year's shirt, I was inspired by this cute Valentine's Day canvas art at Crap I've Made. I don't really decorate for Valentine's Day, but it was so cute I decided to use the same idea on a shirt. The super-cute results:

I used a bargain Target shirt I bought last year. I did have to remove the pocket, and it went much better than it did on this shirt. I used my word processing program to make the letters (Franklin Gothic Heavy in 300 point) and used a ribbed green knit fabric remnant. (Gray and green--very non-Valentine's Day-ish.) I've never fused knit to knit before but it went pretty well. I cut my fabric letters slightly larger than the fusible stuff so the fabric would fray a little around the edges in a Gap/Old Navy fashion. I stitched around each letter randomly twice. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

  1. Neat tip about allowing the fabric to fray a little! I've never tried the fusible stuff before. Cute cute shirt!! :) I'm visiting from The CSI Project today. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously adorable! I have been trying to think of a cute but not too girly shirt to make my boys for Valentines day! I love that you used green:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "love shirt!" Perfect for a boy and not too girly, I'll be sure to use that fray technique on projects in the future. Thanks for sharing!

    Visiting from the CSI project, would love to have you stop by for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! I have two little boys and am trying to decide what V-day shirts to make for them. This would be great-

    Visiting from the CSI project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love "LOVE" stuff for boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too cute! I may have to make matching shirts for my kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shirt is super cute!!! I want to try to make one for my kidlets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "LOVE" this idea, ha, ha... Not to fussy or precious! Filing it at thecraftersfilebox.com.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic. I saw this on Crap I've Made and had to make one for my little guy. I blogged and linked back to you. Thanks for the idea!

    Crystal
    craftyave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the inspiration - I made one too, see it here: http://mamaslittlecoffeebreak.blogspot.com/2011/02/miscellany-monday-27.html

    I linked back to you - thanks again!

    ReplyDelete