May 21, 2018

Island Batik May Challenge {Playful Pillows}

The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik.

Welcome! After spending much of April and the first part of May finishing up projects with deadlines, I was pretty excited to see that the May Island Batik Ambassador assignment was a pillow...a fun, small pillow. 



Here's my very colorful, quilted 18" pillow cover. It's a random mix of half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles, squares on point, signature blocks, chisel blocks, and squares.




I used my AccuQuilt Go! Qube Mix & Match 12" Block and some of the dies in the 12" Companion Qube (no longer available) to cut enough various pieces to make 36 3.5-inch (3-inch finished) blocks. One of the main reasons I love using my AccuQuilt Go! is I'm not a fan of quilt math. When I cut my pieces to make the 36 blocks I need, I know they will all fit together like they're supposed to. It really allows me to randomly sew and design as I go. (Hmmm...design as you go. Is that a thing? If it's not, it should be!)

I still had quite of bit of my Island Batik Elementz Stack left. I love bright colors, and these fabrics were perfect for my playful pillow.



I ordered quilt labels from Spoonflower so I can label each of my Island Batik Ambassador projects. (The May project is the first one I've labeled so far.)


I prefer to make removable pillow covers so I can swap out covers and don't have to store of bunch of pillows. (This comes in handy for quick decorating around the holidays.) I added a zipper to the back of the pillow.

Easy to unzip and swap out this quilted pillow cover for a different one!

I quilted the cover on my longarm. (It took longer to load it on the longarm than it did to actually quilt it!)


Thanks for stopping by! In June, IB Ambassadors will be sharing modern baby quilts. I can't wait to share mine!

4 comments:

  1. Great project. I really like your zipper treatment--been pondering myself to zipper or not--and I think you pushed me over to the zipper side!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine it did take longer to load than quilt! I love this line and it is terrific in the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful pillow and love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete