June 4, 2012

scrappy kaleidoscope blocks

Awhile back I signed up on the wait list for do. Good Sitches {a charity bee}. Each month, group members make quilt blocks to send to one of the group's quilters who will use the blocks to make a quilt for charity. I was so excited to get the e-mail letting me know I was a new member of the WISH group. We will be making quilts for Project Linus and our first task was to make bright pink/purple/orange/gray scrappy kaleidoscope blocks using this tutorial. I panicked a little when I saw the blocks. I haven't really made intricate blocks before. I panicked when I saw the colors. I don't have the greatest fabric stash. Then I took a breath, read through all the instructions, and surveyed my stash. And I made these:


I'm a little disappointed with the center points--I could not get them perfectly lined up even after multiple attempts. My stash was lacking in gray fabric but fortunately I had just ordered a variety of gray polka dot fabric to make my friend a baby quilt. Most of the corner pieces are from a Moda Half Moon Modern Charm pack. The orange fabric is Bridle Path by Kate Spain/Moda. The purples and pinks are random scraps. I'm excited to see the final quilt. I would never mix these colors but I think the end result will be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment