Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"family" sign (from old drawer front)

Remember my ReStore adventure? Well I finally finished my first project from one of my 14 cabinet door/drawer fronts. I decided to start with one of the drawer fronts since it was smaller. Only $1 for this. . .


I sanded it and ended up using about 10 different coats of paint because I couldn't decide what colors I wanted and I didn't have a really good plan of what I was actually making. I also learned that spray paint (though a pain to use in the middle of a hot, humid Midwest summer) yields the best results.


I ended up doing a couple coats of satin black spray paint then a couple coats of Rust-Oleum navajo white. (All Lowe's had was gloss but a few coats of Rust-Oleum matte clear spray on the finished project took care of the gloss.) I sanded the edges to reveal some of the black paint and give it a distressed look. The word "family" was part of a rub-on I found at Hobby Lobby in the clearance sections for $2.14. Eventually this will be hung in a little nook next to my kitchen with family photos around it. (If I ever get the nook painted.) Now to figure out what to do with the remaining 13 doors. . .




1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love that it is a drawer front! I have an itch to do some thrifting. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!