July 27, 2010

rescued basket with liner

My mom and I both have a problem with throwing/giving things away. She is trying to clean out her basement and gave me this basket.

I decided to try and make a lining for it using a thrifted sheet I purchased for 99 cents at Goodwill. I am pretty impressed with how well the lining fit over the top of the basket. I cut off the side hems of the sheet to use for the ties.

I put some pleats in the bottom corners to taper the lining. The inside is a little baggy, but it still looks pretty good.

The basket in action--full of toys.

Thanks for looking!

July 7, 2010

stamped terra cotta pots

I've been wanting some fancy markers for my herbs. I've been using the tags that came with the plants--it's functional but boring. I tried to make a stamped spoon marker using this tutorial from Crap I've Made except mine turned out like crap. You can't see that it says "basil" because I did such a terrible job with the stamping.

So I decided to get out a set of alphabet rubber stamps and my trusty StazOn ink and stamp directly onto the pot. It would have been a lot easier had I done this before I planted the herbs, but it still turned out pretty well.

I chose a stamp set that was kind of curly so the stamping didn't have to be perfectly straight. My oregano--

And my rosemary--
The ink is permanent, so we'll see how it holds up to the elements. I figured it was worth a try since I plant the same three herbs every year. Thanks for looking!