June 21, 2009

Baby Blanket & Personalized Tote Bag

I'm just starting to get back into sewing since my little boy is now 2 & 1/2--just old enough to entertain himself while I'm happily sewing away on my machine set up at the kitchen table. It's been awhile since I've done any sewing for gifts. In my pre-child days, I had lots of time to devote to making lovely, handmade gifts (usually blankets and diaper bags) for my friends having babies. Now my sewing to-do list is much longer than I have time for. A very good friend of mine just had her second son, and I decided to make a blanket for the baby and a personalized tote bag and crayon roll for his new big brother. The fabric for both projects are from my huge stash, and most of the fabrics were remnants.


I have a really nice Bernina machine I splurged on about five years ago. I purchased a walking foot for it and apparently never used it correctly. I ended up being so frustrated with it that the walking foot went right back in the box where it remained for a few years. I starting the quilting on this blanket, and it looked TERRIBLE! I decided to give the walking foot another try (it certainly couldn't look any worse), and it worked perfectly. This was the most enjoyable blanket I have ever made. I quilted it with "wavy" seams (yes, it's crooked on purpose), and I think it turned out so cute. And big brother's tote bag:

The fabric has tools on it, so hopefully it's boyish enough. I still have to make the crayon roll. The first one didn't turn out as nicely as I'd hoped, so I gave that one to my son. He doesn't care if it isn't perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment